Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thinking in Pictures

Note: Yesterday I took Toby and our grandson Mareto to the beach for a walk. You may not know that Mareto is autistic.  What does he think about, and how? For now, he cannot say. 

"If I could snap my fingers and be nonautistic, I would not - because then I wouldn't be me. Autism is part of who I am."
Temple Grandin as quoted by Oliver Sacks in the foreword to Thinking in Pictures


"To have feelings of gentleness, one must experience gentle bodily comfort...After I experienced the soothing feeling of being held, I was able to transfer that good feeling to the cat...this helped me understand the ideas of reciprocity and gentleness."
Temple Grandin, Thinking in Pictures


"The teachers [at nursery school] knew how much to intrude gently into my world to snap me out of my daydreams and make me pay attention. Too much intrusion would cause tantrums, but without intervention there would be no progress. Autistic children will remain in their own little worlds if left to their own devices."
Temple Grandin, Thinking in Pictures

Mareto is feeling the texture of a broken shell.

I hope Mareto will have many fine and sensitive teachers in his life. He has enormous potential.
Yesterday he pointed to the sky as two Navy jets roared overhead from nearby Oceana Naval Station, and I said "airplane". After a few tries, he said it too. 
At one point he lay on the sand, looking at the sky and resting. Suddenly he pointed and said "Airplane!". Sure enough, two passenger jets - small white specks - glided silently far above. 

14 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! Lots of patience, care and LOVE. Mom taught and cared many autistic kids. They are precious and bright. Just have to clearly understand their world. Mareto's eyes are beautiful. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have no idea how my daughter finds so much patience. Interesting that you have taught autistic children. Thank you for noticing Mareto's eyes - they really are beautiful.

      Delete
  2. those photos and the quotes and story that accompanied them...touched my heart. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate the lovely comment very much.

      Delete
  3. Oh Mom - this is so sweet. I love the pictures! Mareto loves airplanes - he actually has a very strong preoccupation with them. He even connects the ones in the sky with his toy airplanes. It's very exciting to see. He and Toby are just so cute together!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this....having an autistic child ourselves......I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love this about the Open Letter Campaign - the exposure to new circles of blogs!

      Delete
  5. Amy, love the pictures and story. Maretto and his sister sure are lucky kids. They have been so blessed to come to such a great family. Love Debbie Blough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie! How did you find this?! Lauren's FB maybe... it's so great to hear from you!!
      We have got to get together! PA or VA, one or the other. Thanks for the retirement card too; it's been a month and I'm still in celebration mode!

      Delete
  6. Amy, I love keeping up with all of you through your blogs. You are all so remarkable. The children are precious. Lucky you are all together.
    What a perfect fit. Miss you guys! Oh, and comgrats on your retirement. Hugs to Toby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! Maybe you can come to the beach this summer! Give Ryan a hug for us!

      Delete
  7. Maurito looks so sweet.
    I hope he will have the best and patience teachers his whole life. Lovely story and love to know more about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look on the sidebar at my blog list, visit Traded Dreams to learn more about Mareto's story. The author of Traded Dreams is Mareto's mom, Lauren Casper. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  8. That's really sweet. I bet Mareto had a lovely time:-)

    ReplyDelete

We love to know what you have to meow, bow-wow, growl, or just plain howl. Leave a comment for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...