Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tropical Fruit Kong Filling


After a hot and humid walk this morning I wanted to reward Toby with a treat that would occupy him too. What about his heavy-duty Kong stuffed with peanut butter?

His weight is stable at 60 pounds now. At his checkup Toby's vet give him a thumbs-up on his weight...but really she'd prefer him to  get a little closer to 55 pounds. 

Peanut butter is one of Toby's favorite foods, but it is a high-fat, high calorie treat. Toby's favorites also include almost all tropical fruits, which I just happened to have on hand after visiting the commissary a few days ago. So out came the blender and in went 3 of Toby's favorite fruits:

1. Banana
Bananas are a rich source of potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, manganese, and fiber. Potassium has a crucial role in nerve and muscle function. It can help protect bones and the cardiovascular system. Bananas have been called one of the "world's healthiest foods". 

2. Mango
Mangos are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and fiber. There are only 1.3 grams of fat in a whole mango.

3. Avocado
Avocados are rich in 3 kinds of "good fats": phytosterols and polyhydrated fatty alcohols (PFA's), both of which are anti-inflammatory; and oleic acid, which helps with absorption of antioxidants. They are a great source of fiber, Vitamin K, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin B5, and potassium.

When I blended these ingredients (1/2 avocado, 1/2 mango, 1 banana) the result seemed a bit soft to put into a Kong toy. I stirred in 1 tablespoon of ground flax meal. Though still a bit loose, the result held together well enough to insert into the Kong. Of course the stuffed Kong could be frozen before serving it.
Tropical Fruit Kong Filling
1 banana
1/2 avocado
1/2 fresh mango
1 T. ground flax meal

Serving size: 3 tablespoons
Number of servings: 3
Calories per serving: 102


Honestly, when I tasted it I thought it would make a pretty yummy dip or spread for the humans!

11 comments:

  1. Looks well yummy. Enjoy. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dip idea! Especially with the ground flax seed. Do dogs eat pineapple?
    www.dogtreatweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to be avocados were considered toxic but now the consensus is the flesh is safe while the pit and skin are toxic. I don't let Kirby have any out of fear which is really kind of stupid considering he ate lots of avocado his first year before I knew they were considered toxic. (I love avocado anything!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is the same information my research gave. I also saw that they are called "butter pears" in some places which is so cool because they do give a creamy texture to foods. My daughter even uses them with only a little lemon for salad dressing - she kind of massages the avocado into the salad.

      Delete
  4. I did research on the safety of avocados for dogs, and as long as they ONLY eat the flesh, it's fine. All other parts can be dangerous for dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toby, your dip looks pretty yummy and pretty easy to make. Maybe I can get my mom to make it, but she hates messy kongs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the time Toby's done the Kong looks squeaky clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, had heard differing things on avocados. I love them! I have given Riley a few slices of the flesh on several occasions, and she was fine. I don't know if Riley's ever had mango, but I love it! Sounds like a really good, refreshing treat!!

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  8. will have to try that, I love bananas but haven't tried mangos or avacados before

    ReplyDelete

We love to know what you have to meow, bow-wow, growl, or just plain howl. Leave a comment for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...